CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I didn't mean to break his heart!

This morning when I got up, I had no intentions of breaking someone's heart. In fact, I had my day planned out to be quite boring. School, lunch, commissary, dinner, bed. Woo hoo. My day certainly didn't go that way, and I found myself trying to mend a poor broken heart.
I told the kids I would take turns eating lunch with them at school. I started with Andrew, since he is in kindergarten. We did that a few weeks ago.
Today was Bryce's turn.He has been reminding me of it since I ate with Drew. I am so glad they want me there, and had intended on eating with Bryce much sooner than this. Today, I finally made it up there. Sam and I packed his lunch....fruit roll up, little debbie fudge round, Cheetos, and a juice box. Healthy, huh! I know Sam wont eat a sandwich, so why waste!
We get there right on time. Sign into the office, get a visitor's pass, and we meet Bryce and his teacher in the hall. He is SO excited to see us there.
We go in and find our seat. We get to sit at a special table that only kids eating with their families get to eat. Bryce loved it last year when I would come eat with him, though we sat with his class then. Anyway, when we get in, I told Bryce I had to go say hi to Drew. Their lunch periods over lap by about 20 minutes. So, Sam and I made our way through the sea of cafeteria tables. Andrew is quite excited to see us as well. All his friends introduce themselves to us. I check to see what of his food he is eating. Give him a hug and a kiss, and tell him that I have to eat with Bryce and to have a great day. He seems ok, and off i go.
A few times through the course of lunch I look over to Drew and wave, smile, and notice he keeps looking over at me. I enjoy my lunch with Bryce. All his old classmates from last year try to break their necks to say hi. They have all grown so much over the past year! They seem like big kids now instead of babies!
I notice Andrew's class is starting to do clean up. Next thing I know, I look over and Andrew is standing with his teacher just SOBBING. He is all out crying. Tears, shrugging shoulders, sobbing cry! He is looking at me with eyes that look like his puppy died. I tell Bryce I need to go check on Drew, as his teacher is mouthing, "he's crying cuz he had to go to class". I walk over and give him a big hug. Whispering in each other's ears, I find out he doesn't want me to leave, and wants to come home with me. He is sad that I didn't get to sit with him, and wants me to go to class with him. How sweet, but also so hard. I have wrestled long and hard as to whether he was ready for kindergarten because he is just so young, sweet and tender. For a moment, I wanted to grab his sobbing little body, and take him home with me so he wouldn't have to be sad or lonely. Instead, I made a deal with him. I promised him a treat! Told him to go have a great day and do well at school, WITHOUT crying, and I would have a treat for him when he got home. That perked his sweet little face up. The tears dried, and he was ready to go to class.
This mom, however, felt guilty that my little guy had such a broken heart because I didn't eat lunch with him. I felt guilty that he doesn't absolutely LOVE school like my other ones have. I know it will come with time. Every day he talks more and more about friends.
By the time he got home, the only thing on his mind was his treat! His first words off the bus,"mom, you didn't forget my treat did you!?" He got to enjoy his skittles, I got to enjoy his smile.
How ironic that on one hand, I would like to wrap him up and keep him home with me, but on the other hand, I am nearly counting the days till they are all in school. What I'll do then, I have NO idea! (but i have three years to think about it!) In the meantime, I'll take turns eating with them at school, I'll enjoy dragging Sam all over with me and getting to answer 10,000 times a day "Mommy, what's that?", I'll enjoy helping with the stupidest homework, and when the time comes that Sam goes back to school, I'll be the one with the broken heart! Do you think they'll buy me a treat to keep me from crying?

2 comments:

Nicole Bolinger said...

I am totally tearing up reading this...so sad! I know Nora won't EVER shed a tear for me, but maybe Audrey will be tender hearted. You are a great mommy!

Jessica said...

That is so sad. Kylie would get this panicked look right after I'd drop her off for the first few weeks. It really bothered me, and I'd drive away feeling horrible. Now she couldn't care less. Drew will get better about school I'm sure.