CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Was he the Brown kid or the White kid?

Our ward has experienced a massive influx of people this summer.This is a natural occurrence since we are so close to the military base. Every year there is a big move in and move out. There are lots of families that are here for only a year to attend a school at Maxwell. We also have gotten several others that are here for 2-4 years. Two Sundays ago they welcomed about 5 families.
The primary is absolutely busting at the seams! In Relief Society, we are having to pull in extra chairs. Today, from the pulpit, the had to ask everyone make room as there were people in the foyer with no place to sit, and we already had the overflow opened! It is great!
After church on the way home, Jonathon was telling me he had been talking to one of the new boys, Abe. We moved here about a year ago, and this had been a harder move for Jonathon. He said he wanted to make sure the boy felt welcomed. I was so proud of him for this.
I was curious which family he belonged to, as I had seen him with one of the families, but couldn't remember. So I asked, "Was he the the Brown kid or the White kid?"
Jonathon and Kayleigh both looked at each other, then looked at me. Their faces both in a bit of shock. And as innocently and matter-of-factly as possible, kayleigh said, " Mom, there were no new brown children. They were all white children." Then, as if she was bothered, added," And why are you asking, you never ask if they are brown or white."

I am giggling at this point, facing the road so they can't see me laughing. I reply, "I wasn't asking that, I was just trying to figure out what family they belong to....the White's or the Brown's."

Jonathon and Kayleigh both laugh, realizing the mistake.

"Oh," Kayleigh said. "I thought you were asking if they were white or brown, and wondered why you cared."

Blake and I both found it funny. The thought hadn't even occurred to me about color, I was just trying to figure out which family had kids the same ages as ours to try to arrange play dates.

Though, in our ward, we now have the Black family, White family, and Brown family. So, if you are the Grey's, or any other color family, we're waiting for you to move on in.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

HAHAHA
Kylie used to ask me about chocolate people. We have a friend who adopted a little biracial girl recently and Alex wants to know "why Everett's sister is brown."

rachiej84 said...

Hi miss Ginger!!! I love your blog and we miss you here!!!!! you can check my blog to get caught up!

http://fullmerfamily2004.blogspot.com/

Love,
rachel fullmer

Tony & Rochelle said...

ROFLOL! Great story! I remember a conversation we had many years ago about this same type of thing. Your hubby was trying to make a point. Do you remember this conversation? If not, I'll 'splain sometime...
PS: Where are pictures of you, Ginger?!