CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 25, 2008

A moment to brag....







Sometimes, as a Mom, it is so hard to watch our children grow up. Part of that is it just makes you feel so darn old! The other part, for me anyway, is knowing what is coming up next for them. Seeing them still so young, good, and relatively pure is such a blessing. Teenage years scare me! I think of myself as having been a pretty good, mild teenager, and the thought of my kids as teens even acting like me makes me want to have them cryogenic-ly frozen and thawed out on their arranged wedding days, or the day the boys are to enter the MTC. Since that isn't going to happen, I just have to fortify myself to be able to watch them go through the process of growing-up.




So far, our kids have made us very proud. While they have moments of selfishness, poor judgement, and of just being plain stupid; the majority of the time, they are very loving, kind, selfless and giving children.
Yesterday was one of those days that makes me think that perhaps it just might not be as bad as I am dreading. Kayleigh made a decision that impressed us all!



Kayleigh has been growing her hair since last year. Lately, it has gotten harder and harder for her to care for on her own. It had gotten so long she couldn't brush the back without help. And washing and drying it was difficult too. We have been talking for a while of getting it cut. She did not want to go short, as she likes having long hair. She agreed to get it cut to her shoulders.


Yesterday was the big day to get her hair cut. I mentioned to her yesterday that there was a program called Locks of Love, that takes hair and makes wigs for kids who are sick and have lost their hair. She thought about it for a minute and said she wanted to give her hair to Locks of Love. I told her that she'd have to get it cut WAY shorter than she was intending. She said she didn't want it cut that short.


A few minutes later, she came and asked how short she'd have to get it cut. We got out a ruler and measured 12 inches up from the bottom. It was going to be SHORT. Right at her hair line. For a minutes, she wasnt going to do it. I am not sure why, but then she came in and said she wanted to cut it all the way and save the pony tail for Locks of Love.


We went to get the cut....There is a place by WalMart that Blake has gone to several times, and the boys have gone too. I took her there, and signed in. The lady came to get us, and I explained we needed her hair washed and dried before cutting, as she wanted to donate her hair to Locks of Love. There were about 5 stylists and a couple customers in at the time, and everybody kind of stopped to listen to find out what was going on. They stylist explained that they would have to cut her hair REALLY short. She (the stylist) was concerned Kayleigh would be upset with such a drastic change.Kayleigh smiled, and quietly told her she knew and that she wanted to do it. The stylists were all very encouraging and told her what a great thing she was doing. One stylist told her she had a lady who was growing her hair for Locks of Love and got to where she couldnt stand it anymore and came and got her hair cut at 9 1/2 inches! She was ALMOST there! They did the cut. It was hard watching them saw through that big, thick, ponytail. It almost felt like she was suddenly growing up before my eyes! I know it grows back, but just seeing how proud she was of herself, knowing how hard the decision was for her.....and to see her follow through!


The cut was over, the new "do" unveiled, and she LOVED it!


She had played with her new hairdo over and over! Parted it this way and that, flipped it, curled it, twisted it.......She said it makes her feel grown up, and I have to agree. I see her turning into a young lady, right before my eyes, and one that makes me proud!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA KAYLEIGH! That is so awesome! LOVE LOVE the new cut! She looks so grown up and ready for summer!

Nicole Bolinger said...

SHe is a weet girl...ya'll are GREAT parents. ANd I love the new "DO"!