CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Is there anything better than Fall!!???

I forgot how much I enjoy Fall! Today, I sat on the back porch, watched Sophie chase bugs and bark at cows, and enjoyed a cup of apple cider! Alabama isn't known for its fall foliage, but from our little hill, i can see trees off in the distance changing colors. From green to red, orange, gold and brown! (and I smile knowing we dont have trees in our yard I have to rake!)
Something about fall is cozy to me. I think my mind knows once fall arrives, the holidays are near. That means lots of family, fun and good food! It means the kids have time away from school, and lots of togetherness here at home (which is sometimes not a good thing).
I think this year I am able to relax and enjoy it for the first time in two years. It was this time 2 years ago that Blake was in Kabul and the kids and I were adjusting to our new life without him. Those were times filled with fear, pride, joy, anxiety, and fall was an expression of sadness. This time last year, we were yet again anxious, wondering what was to be. Embarking on this new journey, quietly wondering..... Fall was an expression of change, and change that wasnt seeming so great. I felt much like the withering leaves about to fall, but I was desperately trying to hold on. Luckily, hold on we did! And this year, the colors of fall are very vibrant, the cool crisp air is welcomed, and change is greated with enthusiasm. My focus has changed, as have my worries. (Having a job will help you not worry so much about looking for a job!!!) I am so grateful that we have a beautiful (though at the moment messy) home, that right out our backdoor is a big backyard that my kids love to wrestle in (just watch our for dog poo!), beyond that is a fantastic view of God's landscape. I am grateful that my husband has a great job that enables me to be home with my little ones, to see them off to school, and greet them when they come home. This week, I am grateful for fantastic medical insurance! (6 out of 7 tested positive for strep throat.....the 7th is being tested this afternoon!)
Not sure why today it hit me. Perhaps because yesterday, wondering who would be our next president and what effect it would have on my family and this country led me to realize today that no matter what, I have everything that matters already. The past two years have really taught me that!

No comments: